Thursday, September 2, 2010

Survival in a Blur

We are ...surviving.  I, myself, feel like I'm doing quite well.  There is something about being very busy that appeals to me.  It gives me adrenaline.   Since Wayne is in the mostly childcare roll right now, I'm sure he feels differently.  But I love volleyball and love teaching it, and yes, even loving the facilities this school has(HUGE).  It is an adjustment.  There is a bit more bureaucracy but in all, it is a positive experience and I'm finding the better facilities are letting us do bigger things.  Bigger is definitely better.


Of course, then now would be a great time for our fridge to stop working.  Discovered one night while icing my shoulder after practice and noted that the ice was wet and melty.  Just what we needed.  So off to appliance store.  Spent and hour and a half looking at fridges while the 3 girls ran around the store opening everything they could.  Kids love appliance stores and were for the most part, well behaved.  Had fridge delivered only to find that our oldish home could fit the beast but not enough to allow us to open the door.  The bottom door part would rub on the baseboard/heat vent as it opened and we could not open it all the way.  After hemming and hawing and another trip to the appliance store, we decided to keep the big beauty for its' extra 4 cu.ft. of space.  Wayne cut the cabinets to give us the extra 3/4 inch we needed and the world continued to turn, just without 5 coolers in my kitchen:)  Nothing is ever easy.

Monday this week I had my volleyball girls come over after practice for dinner and some t-shirt decorating.  A fun, loud group as any group of 14 adolescents would be.  There was much texting(I'll have to consider electronic rules) and giggles.  For any out-of-towners, we are in a bit of a heat wave.  90's all week.  The gym has been HOT!  And so it seemed a perfect night to build a campfire, and make s'mores.  Well, at least it's a memory they won't soon forget.  S'mores in 92 degree weather.  yum.

We made a pasta sauce, each member of the team dropping an ingredient into the pot.  Lots of individual ingredients combined to make a very tasty sauce.  Very much like the way a team functions.  So many different personalities combining to make something special.

We are managing, though the days feel like a blur sometimes.  Tonight is our first game so I will get a better idea of what they know and don't know, or I will see a lot of deer in the headlights:)  Like any coach, I wish my practices were an hour longer.  Wayne does not carry that same wish so we settle for 2 1/2 hrs. long.  I can't imagine what it will be like when Wayne leaves for Jersey, I'm really trying not to think of it.  For now, all is well, just very very busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment